[Corpora-List] Do you think LINGUISTICS is SCIENCE or ARTS?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Mar 23 13:26:20 UTC 2010

Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> But can
> linguists reconstruct Latin on the basis of Italian, Spanish, French and
> other Romance languages? The answer is NO.

I think the answer is partially.  It's the same answer as trying to
reconstruct the proto-mammal from modern mammals, or the proto-galaxy
from the present distribution of stars.  There are multiple paths to a
given situation, and a little thing called entropy tends to get in the
way.

 > If linguistics had been
 > SCience, then it would have been possible.

If by this criterion linguistics isn't a science, then neither are
biology and astronomy.
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?