[Corpora-List] Do you think LINGUISTICS is SCIENCE or ARTS?

Bruce Anderson bruce306 at rogers.com
Tue Mar 23 13:03:21 UTC 2010

Scientific methods attempt to extract rules (with predictive power) from observations; artistic methods attempt to apply rules (e.g. harmony, balance, abstract metaphor) that elicit a psychological response from people - typically admiration of beauty.

With this distinction in mind, I would certainly call Linguistics far more of a science than an art.  Without stretching definitions too far, one might refer to a specific utterance (e.g. a speech) {or even an entire language} as artistic - but the goal of Linguistics is to extract rules, structures, relationships, etc.

(Does that make a generativist an artist? Not really - creating language structures from rigid rules fails the psychological response test.)

Bruce Anderson
Glendon College / York University