[Corpora-List] Do you think LINGUISTICS is SCIENCE or ARTS?

iain iain at idcl.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 15:28:48 UTC 2010

My understanding of science is that it is a process.

.         You make up and idea for how things are structured (the
hypothesis).

.         You devise an objective test in order to try and prove the idea
false.

.         If the test is passed then you are happier with your idea.

.         If not you rethink your idea

Corpus linguistics is all about experiments, so I think it reasonably
qualifies as science.

'Traditional'  linguistics (here I KNOW I'm going to be shot) - of the sort
based on intuitions and introspection is probably an art in that there were
no objective tests.

In all cases you can do bad science and of course introspection is where our
ideas come from.

I have no idea why you think that reconstructing a parent language is
required for linguistics to be a science.  I do not believe modern biology
is capable of constructing the first primordial microbe, given a monkey and
a fly, but that hardly makes it less of a science.

Iain

(Sorry Yuri - first time round I only sent it to you so you have 2 copies!)