[Corpora-List] Do you think LINGUISTICS is SCIENCE or ARTS?

Gilles Serasset Gilles.Serasset at imag.fr
Wed Mar 24 08:19:25 UTC 2010

Dear all,

What I meant in my earlier answer is that the classical question
"SCIENCE OR ART" is most of the time asked only for political reasons
and that it is indeed non relevant in general.

Physics, for instance, is always mentionned as the example of what one
may call REAL science.

And it is indeed science when one systematically uses a theory to
predict some behaviours that are to be validated by observation. This
aspect has been clearly stated by P. Fung.

But what about the way a theory is conceived ? Do you really think
that the theory of relativity was the result of a "systematic pursuit
of knowledge" ? I do believe that most of this work relies on the
pursuit of an "aesthetic" result that would reconcile the theory and
the "annoying facts".

In this regard, there is ART and SCIENCE in physics.

The same kind of observation holds even in mathematics when the
hypotheses (a "beautifully" reduced set of assumption) that are
admitted by a community are destroyed by the discovery of a new
paradox. The hypothesis are a product of ART, there failure is a
product of SCIENCE.

And I do believe that there is no way it could be another way, because
even scientists are human and whichever definition you give to
"humanity" it will not only involve the concepts of 'rigor',
'honesty', 'systematicity', ...

I think that whatever the way you do linguistics (by introspection or
with a computing device or whatever), the theories, rules and
principle you "see" in your work are the result of an artistic
process. And there will be many other linguists that will then argue
on your production and try to invalidate them systematically (and this
is science).

Hence an irrelevant (but logically deduced from the above unscientific
assumptions) answer to the original question:

Linguistics IS SCIENCE OR ART, because Linguistics IS SCIENCE AND ART.

Regards,

Gilles,
--
Gilles Sérasset
GETALP-LIG                         BP 53 - F-38041 Grenoble Cedex 9