[Corpora-List] Using version control software in corpus construction

Adam Lopez alopez at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 19:31:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Joerg Tiedemann
<jorg.tiedemann at lingfil.uu.se> wrote:

> Here are some questions we like to answer:
>
> * Is it possible to compress internal files in SVN or other systems? (What I
> mean is that SVN would take care of compression of the internal files in the
> repository but check-in/check-out works with plain text files)
>
> * Is it possible to remove specific revisions or even to restrict the
> history to a specific number of revisions? (but I'm not sure if this would
> be a good idea anyway)
>
> * How efficient is check-in/check-out for large repositories/files?

I don't know about svn, but with git the answers are: 1) yes, it's
automatic, 2) yes*, and 3) very efficient.

*With the caveat that I don't know exactly what you mean by "remove
specific revisions", git makes it relatively easy to rewrite history.

Cheers
Adam