[Corpora-List] adverbial 'behind'

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Sat May 29 16:57:22 UTC 2010

Hi, Marc,

My initial reaction to your question was 'what adverb?', ie, that it is a
preposition. With a bit more reflection, I'm a bit more convinced that it's
more of a preposition than an adverb. Cf.
          They lost their daddy behind the barn. (or even: after the event,
where I would interpret 'after' here as a preposition). Actually, such
examples seem to me to point out the fuzziness of grammatical categories
(*especially* where adverbs are concerned, and cf. also 'discourse markers',
which in their historical development seem to progress syntactically in many
cases towards adverb-like behavior).

Jim

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Marc FRYD <marc.fryd at univ-poitiers.fr>wrote:

>  Hi everyone,
>
> In the second episode of "The Wire," one of the characters says the
> following:
> "[I am] sorry they lost their daddy behind what happened". This is in
> reference to some kids losing their father after he was shot.
> Is anyone familiar with this particular usage of 'behind'?
>
> Best,
> Marc
>

>  --
> *Dr. Marc FRYD*
> Faculté des Lettres et des Langues
> Université de Poitiers
> 95 avenue du Recteur Pineau
> 86022, Poitiers, France
>
> Tel. [33](0)5 49 45 48 11
> Mob. [33](0)6 76 28 18 50

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO