[Corpora-List] Fwd: Re: Looking for Text Corpora for emotion analysis(list of emotion words with classification)

Michal Ptaszynski ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon May 31 02:52:25 UTC 2010

Dear Bei Yu

Unfortunately, the description of the dictionary has appeared mostly in my
publications and in a small number of others.

The dictionary has been gathered for about 20 years by a researcher in
Japanese lexicography, Akira Nakamura, and contains about 2000 expressions
divided into 10 categories. A small number of the expressions appear in
more than one category. Nakamura has gathered the expressions manually
   from Japanese literature. It was done subjectively, although I have never
met any other collection of emotion words performed in such a proficiency.
Nakamura was also changing the number of emotion categories during his
work, trying different options and mappings of popular emotion categories
onto the Japanese language. The final (present) set of categories consists
of emotion labels said to be the most appropriate for the Japanese
language.

As for the positive and negative words, the dictionary does not
differentiate which emotion category is positive, and which is negative.
This is, I think, one of the profoundities of this dictionary. As you can
easily notice, some categories could be used to express both types of
attitudes (e.g. "surprise" could be both positive or negative). However,
in my papers I have used a, partially superficial, mapping of those
categories on a 2-dimensional affect model by James Russell (valence and
polarity). The combination of Nakamura and Russell goes well in most
cases, but I had to agree with the fact that the emotion type equivalents
are not straightforward. For example, for some positive emotions their
negative equivalent would be more than one and vice versa (e.g. equivalent
for emotion type "dislike" would be both "foundness" and "joy"). This way
of looking at emotions also goes along well with Bob Solomon's claims (see
e.g. "Against valence" in "Not Passion's Slave"
http://www.psyclab.com/stone/Against%20Valence.doc ) and I would bet that
eventually this kind of fuzzy emotion labeling would be widely accepted
for English as well.

The only minus of the dictionary by Nakamura is that it covers only about
10-20% of modern Japanese language (I confirmed that several times
experimentally). This could mean two things: 1. the dictionary is out of
date; or, more probably, 2. the rest of emotive expressions in Japanese is
either phrase or sentence based.

There have been some attempts to generate an emotion corpora
automatically, but honestly cannot recommend any, as most of them are too
simplistic.

At present I am working on developing a method to expand Nakamura's
dictionary or generate a new phrasal dictionary.

Best regards and good luck with the research.

PS. I had an interesting conversation about emotions in language and
sentiment analysis with Liz Liddy, whom you probably know, some time ago.
She came to Hokkaido University for an invited lecture.
--
Michal PTASZYNSKI
Language Media Laboratory, Graduate School of Information Science and
ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp, ptaszynski at ieee.org
http://arakilab.media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~ptaszynski/