[Corpora-List] For students: "CL in Action"

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Mon Nov 1 14:26:42 UTC 2010

On 11/1/2010 10:06 AM, Yannick Versley wrote:
>>     This is only tangentially related to corpora, but can someone please
>> explain to me how speech synthesis and recognition got defined out of
>> computational linguistics?
> I only have very vague ideas about the "how", but the fact is that speech
> recognition has its own conferences (e.g. InterSpeech, EuroSpeech) and
> that everything related to acoustic models (as opposed to language models)
> doesn't really get the interest of the CL community. I think that fields with a
> strong commercial interest (MT, Speech, IR) tend to split off the main block
> of CL, more readily so when the meat of the typical contribution is in
> technical details
> that can't be wrapped in an easy take-home message for people outside that
> sub-discipline.
     That makes sense, but in universities that have "Introduction to
Computational Linguistics" classes, there aren't always "Introduction to
Speech Recognition," or "Introduction to Machine Translation" courses.
It seems logical then to include those in intro computational
linguistics courses, but apparently that isn't happening.  Sort of a
self-reinforcing tribalism here.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com