[Corpora-List] For students: "CL in Action"

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 08:52:11 UTC 2010

So, Computational / Corpus Linguistics is the "left-overs" after the
(commercially) interesting/useful bits have been hived off??!

We're planning a new undergrad module on "Text Analytics" which focusses
on case studies of useful applications of CL/NLP. Can anyone recommend a
survey or textbook or website whcih describes a wide range of case
studies of practical, useful applications of CL, to interest the general
Information Technology student, who may not have an interest in
corpora or language modelling per se?

Eric Atwell, School of Computing, Leeds University

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Yannick Versley wrote:

>>    This is only tangentially related to corpora, but can someone please
>> explain to me how speech synthesis and recognition got defined out of
>> computational linguistics?
> I only have very vague ideas about the "how", but the fact is that speech
> recognition has its own conferences (e.g. InterSpeech, EuroSpeech) and
> that everything related to acoustic models (as opposed to language models)
> doesn't really get the interest of the CL community. I think that fields with a
> strong commercial interest (MT, Speech, IR) tend to split off the main block
> of CL, more readily so when the meat of the typical contribution is in
> technical details
> that can't be wrapped in an easy take-home message for people outside that
> sub-discipline.
>
> Best,
> Yannick

Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468