[Corpora-List] For students: "CL in Action"

Amaç Herdağdelen amac at herdagdelen.com
Thu Nov 4 09:23:56 UTC 2010

Hello Erik,

This is a late reply but you might also be interested in a demo application that we (Marco Baroni and I) put together to look at the gender differences in Twitter messages: http://bit.ly/twittergender

We analyzed millions of tweets collected from the Twitter public timeline [1] and separated them into male and female subsets by using the first names of the Twitter users [2]. For example, if the first name of a user is "John", all of this user's tweets are categorized as male tweets. On the page, there are two simple tools that allow us to compare the gendered frequencies of phrases or compare the salient male and female collocates of a given phrase.

1. www.iccs.inf.ed.ac.uk/~osborne/papers/socmed10.pdf
2. https://github.com/amacinho/Name-Gender-Guesser

Best,

Amaç Herdağdelen