[Corpora-List] Deviations in language models on the web

Oliver Mason O.Mason at bham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 14:54:00 UTC 2010

I believe language models need to take structure beyond the sentence
into account. Then it would be fairly obvious that you're looking at a
list of sentences rather than a text; just as we can already
distinguish between a list of words and a proper sentence.

The problem, then, is how to push language models up one level...

Oliver

On 16 November 2010 12:34, Justin Washtell <lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Serge,
>
> I can think of one or two half-hearted angles of attack, but nothing off the top of my head which couldn't readily be out-foxed by the very next wave of link-spammers. Indeed, any half-decent language models we do develop, are ripe for exploitation directly by the spammers. Given that very fundamental trait of language: its generative capacity, I am inclined to think that the spammers have the upper hand in this one. It's a bit like a war between viruses and anti-virus software, except in a world where a "legitimate" program is largely defined by the fact that it self-replicates and self-obfuscates. My initial suspicion is therefore that this is a genuinely hard - borderline impossible - problem. Mind you, that's exactly what makes it interesting... so I shall give it some more thought :-)
>
> Justin Washtell
> University of Leeds

Dr Oliver Mason
Technical Director of the Centre for Corpus Research
Head of Postgraduate Studies (Doctoral Research)
School of English, Drama, and ACS
The University of Birmingham
Birmingham B15 2TT