[Corpora-List] Time costs between manual pos tagging of English and Chinese corpus

Eric Ringger ringger at cs.byu.edu
Wed Nov 17 16:36:14 UTC 2010

Greetings, Xing Fukun.

I don’t have a direct answer to your question, but perhaps I might offer a
few resources that could allow you to determine the answer.

I’ve been engaged in reducing the costs of corpus annotation using
cost-conscious active learning and multiple annotators.  You can learn more
about what my students, collaborators, and I have been up to on our project
page here:

                https://facwiki.cs.byu.edu/nlp/index.php/Projects:ALFA

As part of this effort, we ran a controlled user study measuring the time
costs of English POS tagging with one form of machine assistance:

                http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2010/summaries/451.
html

We employed our web-based tool known as CCASH for the user study.  The tool
is described here:

                http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2010/summaries/360.
html

You could adopt our methodology to study the time cost of annotating
Chinese.  One question to be resolved is which inventory of tags (lexical
grammatical categories) to use for Chinese and whether that inventory is
comparable to tag inventories used in English tagging.

Regards,

--Eric