[Corpora-List] RE : Annotation layers: missing reference

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Fri Nov 19 14:18:38 UTC 2010

Dear Karen,

> As for NLP as such, the question seems more difficult to answer, but for
> now, I'd tend to think, like you do, that Bird & Liberman were the first
> to introduce it in the field, don't you think so?

Bird and Liberman's paper (apparently already circulating in 1998) is
definitely a very influential one, and may have enforced the use of the
term later on. However, a quick lookup with google scholar reveals that
"annotation layer" was an established term at this time, see, e.g., Core &
Allen (1997) or van Halteren (1998).

In fact already the "EAGLES Recommendations for the Syntactic Annotation
of Corpora" (www.ilc.cnr.it/EAGLES/pub/eagles/corpora/sasg1.ps.gz, 1996)
used the term "layer of annotation", apparently adopted from the "EAGLES
Lexicon architecture"
(http://www.ilc.cnr.it/EAGLES/pub/eagles/lexicons/lexarch.ps.gz, 1993)
where three "layers of articulation" are distinguished (morphology,
syntax, semantics). You will probably find an even older reference for
"annotation layer/layer of annotation" in early EAGLES papers.

Best,
Christian

van Halteren, H. (1998), The Feasibility of Incremental Linguistic
Annotation, Computers and the Humanities 32: 389–409, 1998.

Bird, S. and Liberman, M. (1998), Towards a formal framework for
linguistic annotations, Fifth International Conference on Spoken Language
Processing

Core, M. and Allen, J. (1997), Coding dialogs with the DAMSL annotation
scheme, AAAI Fall Symposium on Communicative Action in Humans and
Machines: 28--35