[Corpora-List] Query-By-Example (QBE) -like GUI to query corpora ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 00:00:24 UTC 2010

 Hi Christian et al,
~
> Sounds a bit like the Linguist's Search Engine (http://lse.umiacs.umd.edu/) ...
~
 I checked their project and it is, in what pertains to the QBE
functionality, what I have in mind. Do you know why did they phase out
that project?
~
> Maybe somebody knows about a successor implementation?
~
 I (am a professional programmer and I) could restudy and if better
than restarting from scratch, I could take myself over that project
(Of course if it is OK with them ...)
~
> ... the TigerNavigator ... a methodology to use ontologies (OWL/RDF) ...
~
 I checked out their search interface to the TIGER corpus (I found odd
that searching for "gehen" doesn't naturally give you as result also
"gegangen"), but honestly I don't believe in OWL/RDF description of
ontologies/Semantic Web things in corpora research. At least not in
the way I think of corpora which are essentially syntactic beasts
~
 What is the point of using previously "described" so-called
"semantic" information? I think corpora should just implement as a
linguistic tool to query source data/texts.
~
 How on earth could you query texts semantically?
~
~
> The main difference is that the user has to provide a whole set of instances and counterinstances for the concept (s)he's looking for.
~
 ;-)
~
 Thanks