[Corpora-List] Looglefight

Khurshid Ahmad kahmad at scss.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 1 16:57:18 UTC 2010

Dear Adam
I think we have had Lgooglefight before.  Anyway thanks.  I just ran
fights between 'Adam' & 'Kilgariff' and 'Adam' won.  Then I had a fight
between 'Adam Kilgariff' & 'Yorick Wilks'; I leave to see the result.

The point is about using 'web texts' - there may be many insightful
results but there are ephemral instances too.  Corpora are expected to
give us a degree of objectivity about the use of language in situ.

Best wishes

> Dear all,
>
> Have you ever been writing an NLP paper and been unsure about the usual
> turn
> of phrase for something, in the NLP literature?  Now you can ask - at
> http://looglefight.com - and be answered!
>
> Looglefight is a web app that lets you input two alternative phrasings,
> and
> finds their frequencies in the NLP literature, as represented by the ACL
> Anthology Reference Corpus (ARC; 45m words of texts drawn from the ACL
> Anthology; http://acl-arc.comp.nus.edu.sg/).  The ARC have been loaded
> into
> the Sketch Engine, which provides the indexing etc.  You are also free to
> explore the ARC on the 'Open Sketch Engine' site (
> http://sketchengine.co.uk/open).
>
> --

Khurshid Ahmad

Professor of Computer Science