[Corpora-List] Which modeling steps are most important / difficult?

Munson, Miles Arthur mamunso at sandia.gov
Sat Oct 9 00:35:38 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Modeling tools drawn from statistics, machine learning, and data mining are widely used by the natural language processing community.  Even when a standard modeling algorithm can be used as a black box, many additional steps can be necessary to make use of the black box and understand the results.

I am interested in how much time is spent per modeling step in developing real systems and the community's opinion of the importance of the various steps.

To study this question I am conducting a short survey (5-10 minutes) of the community's experience with developing real systems.  The survey can be found at

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/39YCVRX

I plan to do a differential analysis of the responses from the general machine learning community vs other communities (e.g., NLP) if there are enough responses.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can spare a few minutes to take the survey.

Sincerely,
Art Munson