[Corpora-List] Where is corpus linguistics on the web?

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Sat Oct 9 11:17:15 UTC 2010

  I agree in part with Alan Hougue.
I tried the google search he recommends and did not find it quite as
disappointing as he suggests -- the very top of the listing was a not
very extensive, fairly OK Wikipedia article on CL. After that, books and
past conferences, which indeed may not be much use, depending on what
you want to know. As a community we ought to contribute more to
Wikipedia: I have done a little but I know I should have done more.

 > Shouldn't there be at least one general site which helps people find
their way?

Well ideally there'd be a really useful helpful page to meet any google
query but we all know there usually isn't, and that googling, like CL,
is a matter of recurrent searches and re-phrasing of one's questions. As
your own sign-off has it:

"A good traveler has no fixed plans
  and is not intent on arriving."

-Lao Tzu

It is true though that many CL sites are very poorly documented so that
you have to drill down hard to find what you want, and often it is out
of date or inexplicit. Perhaps because it's nobody's responsibility to
re-think the site or no institutional support for doing it. There are
exceptions. Try http://tiny.cc/corpora.
-- --
Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***

Aston University and Lexical Analysis Software Ltd.
Room NX01
Aston University
Aston Triangle, Birmingham, B4 7ET
0121 204 3809