[Corpora-List] Measuring relative collocational strength

Stefan Th. Gries stgries at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:28:58 UTC 2010

As usual with regard to this topic, let me contradict Adam's view by
pointing (as usual) to my response to his article, which shows that
when corrections for multiple post-hoc tests are used, p-values can in
fact do exactly what they are supposed to. Also, cf.

Gries, Stefan Th. 2001. A corpus-linguistic analysis of -ic and -ical
adjectives. ICAME Journal 25. 65-108.
Gries, Stefan Th. 2003. Testing the sub-test: a collocational-overlap
analysis of English -ic and -ical adjectives. International Journal of
Corpus Linguistics 8(1). 31-61.

where I show that, using an approach I developed myself and Church et
al'.s distinctive collocate strength approach (with a t-score) do
provide linguistically interesting results.

HTH,
STG
--
Stefan Th. Gries