[Corpora-List] Common nouns in English and their frequencies

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Thu Oct 21 16:34:30 UTC 2010

Yorick,

>>  Does anyone have a handy link to common nouns of English and their frequencies?

"Common" noun meaning "frequent" nouns, or meaning "not proper" nouns?

>> I can see many to the most common words but not nouns.

Wouldn't it work to just download a full PoS list and then select just the nouns? E.g.:

COCA: http://www.wordfrequency.info/
BNC(1): http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/bncfreq/flists.html
BNC(2): http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html

Or, via a web interface -- Top 1000 nouns (by lemma):

COCA: http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/?c=coca&q=6804341
BNC: http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/?c=bnc&q=6804353

Best,

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **