[Corpora-List] Patent application for "Referent tracking of portions of reality"

Pavel Vondřička Pavel.Vondricka at ff.cuni.cz
Thu Sep 2 10:37:02 UTC 2010

> I just read the article, which is interesting. However, I think many of the
> arguments against software patents could be made against patents from most
> other fields. It seems to me that the speaker is basically against patents
> of any form. He even introduces examples from other fields as examples of

I guess the main concern is the fact(?) that *most* "software" patents
are of this trivial ("horror") type, while among "normal" patents these
are (still?) just exceptions. (That is at least my impression, I don't
remember seing any serious statistics on this, and they could probably
hardly be done, anyway.)

I would not worry so much about Richard M. Stallman personally - he
represents one extreme and he is a quite controversial personality even
for many of his own followers, however they respect his merits for
"openness" and "freedom" within the digital world. Therefore, his
presentations must always be taken with a grain of salt, whatever
rightful or reasonable their main/basic ideas are.

Best regards,
Pavel