[Corpora-List] Patent application for "Referent tracking of portions of reality"

chris brew cbrew at acm.org
Thu Sep 2 17:28:35 UTC 2010

Adam

Perhaps I assumed too much about what people know. I specifically tried to
comment on the ways that the patent system shapes the behaviour of companies
and patent offices.

Stallman is good and insightful, and correctly points out that the system
but does let his rhetoric get out of hand sometimes

e.g his transcript  (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/stallman-patents.html)
says:

On one extreme we have pharmaceuticals where a given chemical formula would
be patented, so that patent covers one and only one product. Some other
product wouldn't be covered by the existing patent. If there is to be a
patent for this new product, the patent holder would be whoever developed
the new product.

=======================================

Which I think is too kind to the pharmaceutical industry. I examined exactly
such pharmaceutical patents in the 1980s.  The pharmaceutical patent is
likely to cover a range of "related" compounds covered by a schematic
chemical formula. I'm not saying that there is the same scope for over-broad
claims as there is in the case of software, but there definitely is some
degree of broadening beyond the concrete examples. And I think this happens
for the same
reasons as in the case of software. "related" is a slightly slippery
concept.

Pharmaceutical research is costly, because you need to demonstrate serious
potential for therapeutic effectiveness,  and one of the consequences of
that is that the large firms dominate even more than in other fields.
Mercifully, this makes the so-called "patent trolls" (firms with no purpose
other than to hold patents and coerce license fees out of the truly
productive firms). In that sense, Stallman's intuition that pharma patents
are less dodgy than software ones is probably broadly correct.

Chris Brew, Ohio State University