[Corpora-List] Patent application for "Referent tracking of portions of reality"

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Fri Sep 3 20:52:24 UTC 2010

  On 9/3/2010 4:26 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> For example, look at the last sentence quoted below:  "By linking
> the concepts in the ontology to the appropriate codes, the system
> is able to annotate free text documents with these codes as the
> documents are being indexed."  If the "inventors" add this as a
> claim, anybody who annotates documents with codes could be sued.
What is particularly egregious about the claims, to those familiar with
medical informatics, is that it looks like it was taken directly from
the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS). This, of course, was paid
for by all Americans (and probably by a lot of non-Americans). Thus, for
example, making use of its public availability, I have posted the UMLS
semantic relations hierarchy
<http://www.clres.com/semrels/umls_relation_list.html>. In addition,
what my posting represents, is only the tip of the wonderful semantic
network and elaborate construction of medical terminology from over 60
sources.

     Ken

--
Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog