[Corpora-List] Corpus of Asian learners of English

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Sep 5 12:44:22 UTC 2010

I have a small World Wide English corpus online:
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric/wwe.shtml

c90 subcorpora of English from countries around the world:
200,000-word web-corpora compiled from English-language websites in each
country, collected by School of Computing students.

The countries (WWW Top Level Domains) covered include several in Asia:
United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Christmas Island, Hong Kong,
Indonesia, Israel, India, Iran, Jordan, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon,
Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi
Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, Taiwan, Vietnam

But note this DISCLAIMER:
The subcorpora were collected by web-crawler from English-language
web-pages restricted to a given WWW Top Level Domain, and collected by
Computing students (not Linguistics students) so they may not be
representative of the EFL text you seek to collect.

But let me know if these are of any use to you.

regards,

Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing,
  Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Shin'ichiro Ishikawa wrote:

> Dear ML members
>
> Now I am engaged in the project to compile the corpus of Asian
> learners of English.
>
> So far we have collected data in Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan,
> and Hong Kong.
> If you currently teach in Asian EFL countries (excluding Japan) and
> are interested in joining the project, please contact me.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dr. Shin Ishikawa
> Kobe University, Japan
> iskwshin at gmail.com

Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing,
  Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England
  TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468  WWW/email: google Eric Atwell