[Corpora-List] Quotation (lexicography)

Bill Louw louwfirth at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 14:48:11 UTC 2010

Hello. The Cobuilders are curiously silent. Old-style lexicographers may have behaved in this way, but modern lexicographers would leave the number of senses to the software to determine, largely through collocation.

The line you quote offers only one match via the limited search techniques offered to the general public. It is as follows:

testable concept, and has almost as many meanings as it has advocates.

Corpus BoE: Strathy
Canadian journal: 1987
document 24
Match number 1

A wildcard or skip search would reveal the subtext. This is only available via a Cobuild log-in. I can only guess that the variables of such a search would reveal more of a sense of causality. Cobuilders are having their logins revoked at this time, I am reliably informed. Mine was removed on December 31 2003, a fortnight after I falsified The Truth and Reconciliation Commission using the Bank of English.

Jeremy Pope of Transparency International wrote:'A country will be as corrupt as its institutions will allow.'

Bill Louw
University of Zimbabwe