[Corpora-List] Quotation (lexicography) - "as many senses"

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:52:59 UTC 2010

Hi, all,

In answer to Ramesh, I don't (and shouldn't) exclude multi-word lexemes,
although my comments (and Baayen's research) were focused on traditional
'words' (ie, written text units separated by spaces, eg). I'm not
well-versed enough in Cruse's theory to comment very cogently, but Tadeusz's
characterization of it does not sound like a restrictive enough theory for
my tastes; it rather sounds like 'anything goes', pretty much like my
understanding of traditional semantic theory (a clear and cogent discussion
of semantic theory(es) is found in the first chapters of Wilks et al.,
_Electric words_, approximately 1996 or so). My inclination is to prefer a
very restrictive theory until it can be shown that data do not support it
(and, given human nature, but also for sound scientific reasons, a bit
beyond that point, in the interest of seeing what are the ultimate
consequences of the original assumptions, in part to see if they are worth
tweaking). Here, my strong feeling about subsidiary senses (polysemy) is
that they are derivable (often via metaphor) from the linguistic context.
Independently of this, such derived senses (I would hypothesize: a finite
subset of them) may, over time, develop independent semantics, as separate
submeanings or even separate lexemes. It's hard for me to fathom a
practicable (both linguistically and cognitively) semantic theory without
some similar assumptions.

Jim

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Krishnamurthy, Ramesh <
r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk> wrote:

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO