[Corpora-List] Quotation (lexicography)

Lothar Lemnitzer lemnitzer at bbaw.de
Tue Sep 7 08:27:39 UTC 2010

Dear Laura

I do not think that this insight is so spectacular. Word senses are
artifacts and lexicographers are the experts (and are perceived by society
as such) in finding and defining these artifacts.

If I am allowed to give a guess I would assign this position to Adam
Kilgarriff (I don't believe in word senses).

Adam, sue me if I am wrong.

Regards

Lothar Lemnitzer

2010/9/7 Laura Lofberg <Laura.Lofberg at uta.fi>

> Could someone with a better memory help me?
>
> If I remember correctly, someone has said 'a word has as many meanings as a
> lexicographer cares to perceive' or something like that. Does anyone
> remember the exact wording? And who has made this brilliant comment, where
> and when?
>
> Best,
>
> Laura Löfberg
> University of Tampere
> Finland

Lothar Lemnitzer
DWDS
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Jägerstr. 22/23
10117 Berlin