[Corpora-List] Is it not noble to refer to your own opus?

Alexander S. Yeh asy at mitre.org
Mon Sep 20 23:10:22 UTC 2010

Jim Fidelholtz wrote:
> Hi, Yuri,
>
> Editors (and I am one, as you know) do not tell authors not to refer to
> themselves. This is only the case in the text of an article when it is
> being submitted for arbitration for the journal, in order not to sway
> reviewers by the 'august fame' of the author (ie favorably) or
> conversely, 'I never heard of him, so he can't be any good' (ie,
> negatively). Likewise, authors, as a matter of style as well, should
> avoid locutions like 'I showed (Fidelholtz 1975) that ...'. In other
> words, we aspire to blind reviewing, since that is likely to be more
> objective. Of course, this is difficult in practice, since the nature of
> the study will often indicate to others in the field who the author is.
> And in corpus linguistics, we can just run different software on the
> article and find out who wrote it  ;-).  Ha! It should be so easy!

> Jim
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Yuri Tambovtsev <yutamb at mail.ru
> <mailto:yutamb at mail.ru>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Corpora colleagues, selfreferences are prohibited. But what can
>     I do if nobody writes anything in my narrow field of research? If I
>     omit references to my own articles, then there'd be no references at
>     all. What can you advise me? Is it not noble to refer to your own
>     opus? Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at mail.ru
>     <mailto:yutamb at mail.ru>  Bewell, Yuri Tambovtsev

Often, in situations of blind review, what is not permitted is
indicating that you authored the reference, like
'I showed (Fidelholtz 1975) that ...'

because that indicates that you, the author of the submission, are
Fidelholtz, which is what is trying to be avoided.
But often in such situations of blind review, it is still permitted to
refer to your own past papers in the third person, like
'Fidelholtz (Fidelholtz 1975) showed that ...'

when the writer of that quote is Fidelholtz.
Then the quote does not indicate that the current author is Fidelholtz.

Thanks
-Alex Yeh