[Corpora-List] Citing examples

Zygmunt Vetulani vetulani at amu.edu.pl
Sun Sep 26 21:04:46 UTC 2010

Interesting (and surprisingly complex) problem.
My solution is as follows.
1) As the reason of using the example is other then reproduce an
oppinion, message,  content etc. then there is  no matter of
copyrights,  therefore the non-citation  the source will not be case of
copyrghts violation,
2) it does not make sense to cite the source of common sentencs or
grammatical patterns of the kind /"I love you"./ (In this case GOD is
the sole copyright owner, and I do not think that He will clame his
rights!), but
3) it DOES make sense to provide the source in case of uncommon, rare,
biased etc. constructions just in order to give the reader at least a
/theoretical /chance to check the soundness of the argumentation the
example is used for,
4) in case one intends to argue on basis of sb's usage (e.g. on a
particular /act of speech/)  the source citation is appropriate.
Best
Zygmunt Vetulani