[Corpora-List] Corpora Digest, Vol 39, Issue 27

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 08:14:40 UTC 2010

Nasir,

If your research is on adverbials in your English corpus tagged by
CLAWS7, you should note that PoS-taggers can make errors in tagging,
and may have particular difficutlies in tagging Adverbs consistently and
correctly.  Leeds PhD student Owen Nancarrow is researching this topic.
See:

Nancarrow, O; Atwell, ES. 2009.
How Reliable are Modern English Tagged Corpora? A case-study of
modifier and degree adverbs in Brown, LOB, the BNC-Sampler, and ICE-GB.
Proceedings of CL2009 Corpus Linguistics Conference.
http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/publications/cl2009/383_FullPaper.doc

Nancarrow, O; Atwell, ES. 2007.
  A comparative study of the tagging of adverbs in modern English corpora.
Proceedings of CL2007 Corpus Linguistics Conference.
http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/publications/CL2007/paper/272_Paper.pdf

Nancarrow, O. forthcoming.
A comparative study of the tagging of adverbs in modern English corpora.
PhD thesis, School of Computing, University of Leeds.

Eric Atwell, School of Computing, Leeds University