[Corpora-List] Citing examples

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:25:02 UTC 2010

Hi, All,

Just a tangential comment on this discussion (generally good advice given,
btw): I feel *very* uncomfortable with the original poster's implicit
assumption that the APA manual is the 'go-to' choice. It is atrocious. The
worst feature is that it mandates initialization of authors' names (eg: B.
Reynolds), a useless, elitist and anti-academic practice (I have more
epithets, and arguments, for those interested: see
http://linguistlist.org/issues/6/6-527.html (1995); btw, for those who may
wonder why the only guy in the world named Fidelholtz feels so strongly
about this, a few years after the URL mentioned, my son discovered on Google
*another* Dr. James Fidelholtz (this one a *real* doctor, as it turns out,
who publishes medical research and is not related)). There are other bad
(and space-wasting!) aspects of the APA style
'sheet'-turned-fat-manual-complete-with-fat-workbook, but this rant has gone
on long enough.

Recommendation: use the linguistic journal editors' list (relatively) new
style sheet (see Linguist List for details--it's good, simple and clear), or
if you must have a book: the Modern Language Association (MLA) style manual.

Jim

> > 3) it DOES make sense to provide the source in case of uncommon, rare,
> > biased etc. constructions just in order to give the reader at least a
> > /theoretical /chance to check the soundness of the argumentation the
> example
> > is used for,
> > 4) in case one intends to argue on basis of sb's usage (e.g. on a
> particular
> > /act of speech/)  the source citation is appropriate.
>
> Personally, I go even further and cite sources where the quotation
> isn't particularly uncommon, rare, etc., but I think that at least in
> the situations that Zygmunt cites, it's best to give the source.
>
> Kev
> --
> Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, PhD
> Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Center for Computational
> Pharmacology, U. Colorado School of Medicine
> and
> Lead Artificial Intelligence Engineer, The MITRE Corporation, Human
> Language Technology Division
> 303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
> http://compbio.ucdenver.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO