[Corpora-List] corpus of plain text docs in English

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Mon Apr 4 14:43:17 UTC 2011

Petar,

I'm not sure how far back you want the texts. If it's just to the early 1800s or so, you might check the links at the 400 million word Corpus of Historical American English (http://corpus.byu.edu/coha): Help / Composition of Corpus. It provides suggestions for some nice text archives, like Project Gutenberg, Making of America, etc.

For anything farther back than the early 1800s, you could just use the older texts from Project Gutenberg, or the many online archives of authors of Early Modern English. If your library is a member, you'll also want to check the huge collection at Early English Books Online (EEBO) for the machine readable (as opposed to the PDF image) texts.

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **