[Corpora-List] Ethical review of spoken corpus collection

Brett Reynolds Brett.Reynolds at humber.ca
Tue Apr 5 20:22:24 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-05, at 12:17 PM, Yannick Versley wrote:

> I find it very strange that these onerous requirements do not apply to staff doing PR, organizational research (for internal use), journalism, or art, all of whom are trusted to gathering the same type of data as researchers without oversight, but that's another issue.
>
> I think you've answered the question yourself. As long as you don't do an experiment, you can
> just make a very long (and possibly very boring) documentary out of the data you collected and then
> use that documentary (in its published form) as a corpus.
> This possibly puts you in the scope of other onerous requirements (performance rights...), but it should
> allow you to escape those requirements that are narrowly tailored towards psychology experiments.

Yes, I've considered this sort of tactic, but I don't think it would make life at the school pleasant. I haven't actually approached the board about the idea. I wanted to learn more about what others are doing so I could be prepared.

Best,
Brett

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
brett.reynolds at humber.ca