[Corpora-List] All English Text Messaging Corpus?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Mon Apr 11 15:23:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Vivian Tsang <vyctsang at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> Shrug.  I'm writing to support the argument against Rich.   Patent claims
> > have nothing to with text messaging; they're entirely different.   If I
> > asked for information about cookbooks and recipes and someone steered me to
> > their collection of movie reviews, I wouldn't find that helpful at all.
> >

> But the original request was for text message corpus that is *not* "a
> collection of someone's personal (and/or family/friends') messages."

WikiLeaks has a corpus of text messages sent over a 24 hour period on
September 11th 2001.

> Are text messaging ever not a collection of personal messages?

Some of the WikiLeaks 9/11 corpus are clearly very personal. But there are
also many texts included that are automated system status messages. The
automated responses provide an insight into the sequence of when systems
failed or being unusable during that day.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!