[Corpora-List] Text mesage corpus

david hardisty david.hardisty at netcabo.pt
Mon Apr 11 22:29:48 UTC 2011

Laura Christopherson wrote:
“When I used the term "text messages," I meant it in a specific way (not a
general usage of "things/documents/files in text"). Specifically, I meant
SMS (short messaging service) as Benjamin indicated - messages created on
cellphones via a service provider's (like AT&T) service for this sort of
communication.

Regarding the "personal" idea, absolutely yes - ultimately each message is
personal to someone. I'm more interested in text messages that are not a
collection of messages which are personal **to the collector** - i.e. not
the collector's own messages to/from his family/friends or messages that
are created by only the collector's family/friends.”

(My first message on this forum ....)
Laura, I do not know if you are tied to the specific features of “traditional” SMS texts, or how big a corpus you want, but have you thought about using Twitter and Tweets and the Twitter webpage, and then building up your own corpus by selecting tweeters that post messages that meet your research criteria (if hopefully any tweets do). Advantages of Twitter? Public medium (you can restrict your corpus to tweets that have already been made public) and it is pull technology so the texts can come to you by following, RSS feeds, or you can pull them off the Twitter site.
David Hardisty
Lisbon
Portugal