[Corpora-List] AntConc 3.2.2 released for Windows and Mac OS X

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Wed Apr 13 09:28:38 UTC 2011

Congratulations, Laurence

Just an observation -- I believe that lists in Antconc, like in
WordSmith, do not attempt to supply rankings in frequency lists since as
Michal points out words with equal rankings get different numbers.
Instead the numbers merely reflect the item's position in the list,
which may vary according to details of the sort system.

Cheers -- Mike

On 13/04/2011 03:46, Michal Ptaszynski wrote:
> Great news Laurence,
>
> I have two issues that haven't been either noticed or perhaps required
> in Antconc.
> The first is that Antconc does not read files with file names
> containing 2-bite characters (even after changing the encoding in
> Global Settings). Since you work in Japan, didn't you have any
> problems with that?
> The second is calculating ranks of words. I noticed that words that
> have the same occurrence (hit-rate) have subsequent ranks (which
> probably comes from alphabetical sorting). This means that if there is
> 1000 words of only 1 occurrence per each, the word starting with "Aa"
> will have rank = 1, and word starting with "Zz" will have rank = 1000,
> although statistically they should be of the same rank.
> Do you consider the above as issues or is it irrelevant in your research?
>
> Best,
> --
> Michal PTASZYNSKI
> Institute of Engineering, Hokkai-Gakuen University
> High-Tech Research Center, Intelligent Techniques Laboratory 6,
> Minami 26, Nishi 11, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, 064-0926, Japan
> ptaszynski at hgu.jp, ptaszynski at ieee.org
> TEL: +81-11-841-1161 (ext.: 7796), FAX: +81-11-551-2951
> http://arakilab.media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~ptaszynski/

> Od: Laurence Anthony <anthony0122 at gmail.com>
> Do: Corpora list <corpora at hd.uib.no>
> Data: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:55:28 +0900
> Temat: [Corpora-List] AntConc 3.2.2 released for Windows and Mac OS X
>
> Dear Corpora Members,
>
> I'm happy to announce a new version of the freeware software AntConc
> (3.2.2) for all versions of Windows and Macintosh OS X (tested on OS X
> 10.4.11):
>
> http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html
>
> I created this a few years back but did not release it officially
> because I had a few initial reports that it did not launch properly.
> I've tested it for the past few months without problems, so I hope you
> all find it useful.
>
> I've also started a dedicated AntConc discussion list, which I
> encourage users to join:
> http://groups.google.com/group/antconc
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Laurence Anthony
> Center for English Language Education in Science and Engineering (CELESE)
> Waseda University, Japan
> http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/

Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***

Aston University and Lexical Analysis Software Ltd.
Room NX01
Aston University
Aston Triangle, Birmingham, B4 7ET
0121 204 3809