[Corpora-List] mmorph tool

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Apr 15 19:41:59 UTC 2011

On 4/15/2011 2:43 PM, asim rai wrote:
 > I just want to know, is there any morphological analysis software
 > freely available for English .

In the mid-90s, SIL released PC-KIMMO v2 with an English morphological
grammar.  It's still freely available, including source code for the
PC-KIMMO engine:
    http://www.sil.org/pckimmo/v2/pc-kimmo_v2.html
I believe, but am not sure, that it covers some derivational morphology
as well as inflectional (the latter of course would be pretty trivial).

PC-KIMMO uses two-level rules, i.e. there are no xfst-style "replace"
rules.  I find two level rules nearly impossible to work with, but your
mileage may vary :-).

There is also a web page at ACL entitled "Morphology software for English":
    http://www.aclweb.org/aclwiki/index.php?title=Morphology_software
although the title seems to be misleading.  (And PC-KIMMO is listed as
proprietary, which is wrong.  OK, I edited it, so it's right now.)

    Mike Maxwell