[Corpora-List] Community-driven corpus building

Martin Reynaert reynaert at uvt.nl
Sat Apr 16 14:24:48 UTC 2011

Dear List,

With all these pun(n)y red herrings out of the way (thank you, Ramesh!),
we can now perhaps return to this thread's topic: the building of
shareable corpora.

Shareability implies IPR-settlement. The implicit consent to
redistribution of their 'donated' texts by users of sites where the
maintainers have the necessary statements in their sites' terms of use
allow the corpus builder to deal with a single instance rather than with
potentially thousand of unreachable individuals.

This has allowed SoNaR to draw up a licence agreement with the
maintainers of a single internet forum which alone has yielded text far
in excess of the envisaged 500 million words for the whole Dutch
reference corpus.

We are nevertheless trying to build a balanced corpus of almost 40
different text types, from books to tweets, from two countries (each
with its own copyright legislation).

This week in a posting on this list from Singapore, we have heard about
interesting approaches to collecting SMS.

I am very interested in hearing about other viable, preferably
large-scale, approaches to collecting IPR-settled text, regardless of
text type, for the purposes of building shareable corpora from other
members of this list.

Thank you,

Martin