[Corpora-List] the ebb and flow of inclusion of words in OED?

Martin Mueller martin.mueller at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 14:41:42 UTC 2011

The coverage of English before 1900 in the OED is largely the work of
Victorian and Edwardian editors, including a lot of amateur clerical
crowdsourcers.

If you look at the timeline from a distance, you may conclude that it
reflects the literary tastes of the editors for whom the late 16th and
early seventeenth century were a golden age.  Then you see a lot of 19th
century stuff, reflecting the industrial revolution and all the words that
science and technology brought with them.

The OED is probably not a particularly good source for studying the growth
of vocabulary. A much better source, to pick up from John Sowa's
suggestion, to would be the 30,000 EEBO texts that have been transcribed
and the 40,000 that will be transcribed over the next four years.  Do
lemmatization and morphosyntactic analysis for every word and think of the
combination of lemma and POS tag as an abstract entity whose orthographic
manifestations can be put on a time line. Complicate the picture by using
the English Short Title Catalogue to produce granular forms of text
classification so that words sit in a space of time and genre.

Some of that work is going on in Project Bamboo, but there is room for
many helping hands.