[Corpora-List] Hindi danda

Nitin Madnani nmadnani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:11:58 UTC 2011

Hi Judith,

Hope you are doing well. The Hindi Danda (more formally known as
'poorna virama' which literally means 'full stop') is equivalent to
the English period. However, I have seen the double pipe (or danda)
used to demarcate passages or verses, mostly in older religious texts
written in Sanskrit. It's certainly fallen out of favor.

This report might be useful (search for 'Punctuation Marks'):
http://sanskrit.jnu.ac.in/rstudents/mphil/ritu-agrawal.pdf

Nitin

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Judith D. Schlesinger <judith at super.org> wrote:
> A few quick questions for anyone with strong knowledge of Hindi...
>
> Is there a difference between using a single danda and a
> double danda?  Is there any time more than a double would
> be used?  Is the single similar to an English , or ; and the
> double like a .?  Or is there no real relationship.
>
> Thanks so much for a quick reply.
>
> Judith Schlesinger
> judith at super.org

Linguist, Desi Linguist