[Corpora-List] PS:minimal changes in a paragraph (based on a corpus it appeared) ... (2nd attempt (after first one was deleted))

Graham White graham at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 09:07:22 UTC 2011

This may be straying a bit off topic (well, it already has strayed
off topic), but there are two things that tell against this line of
argument.
i) Goedel was extremely interested in our own cognitive capacity: he had
a very strong doctrine of mathematical intuition, for example. He wasn't
just interested in formal systems for themselves, but as products of
human cognitive abilities, because (I think) he was deeply interested
in human cognitive abilities.
ii) Furthermore, if you consider formal systems (to be specific,
formalisations of areas of mathematics which are important in
mathematical practice) you find there are two big classes. Firstly, you
have the ones which can't express arithmetic, for example formalisations
of Euclidean geometry, large parts of algebraic geometry, and so on.
These have sound and complete axiomatisations, have other good
properties (for example, quantifier elimination). Goedel's theorem
doesn't apply to these, precisely because you can't express arithmetic
in them. Secondly, you have the ones which can express arithmetic, and
Goedel's theorem does apply to them. Systems of both types are
significant in mathematical practice: Tarski, for example, worked on
both of them (he wrote a lot on quantifier elimination in systems of the
first type as well as his famous paper on truth in formalised
languages). By the way, I'm not saying that any logical system at all
belongs to either the first type or the second type: if you want a
better characterisation of the first type, then the theory of
o-minimality does that quite well.

Graham