[Corpora-List] Charniak parser

Nitin Madnani nmadnani at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 23:43:45 UTC 2011

I wrote a little patch to enable charniak parser to be compiled on modern
linux distributions. It's available from my web page.

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011, Pawel Mazur <pawel.mazur at mq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mac OS X you can compile the Charniak parser (parser05Aug16) using
gcc/g++ v. 4.2.1 (the default one in my installation of OS X 10.6.8).
> You only need to add
> #include "GotIter.h"
> to parser05Aug16/PARSE/BchartSm.C
> To compile the content of the TRAIN directory, you need to change a part
of the line 310 in rCounts.C from
> (int)sbrk(0)
> (long)sbrk(0)
>

> In the case of the Charniak-Johnson reranking parser
(reranking-parserAug06) you need to:
> -  change the line 128 of first-stage/PARSE/parseIn.C from
> int id = (int)arg;
> int id = (long)arg;
> - run 'make clean' before 'make' to recompile
second-stage/programs/features/best-parses

> You can also rename features.gz to features.gz.Z and
cvlm-l1c10P1-weights.gz to cvlm-l1c10P1-weights.gz.Z and make the relevant
changes in parse.sh;
> without this step the parser is working, but zcat complains about missing
gz.Z files; doing this step stopped the messages to appear.

http://bllip.cs.brown.edu/download/reranking-parserAug06.tar.gz);
>>> my C++ skill ranks between very low and zero. I've had problems with
declarations likely just
>>> missing from my path, which I can fix, and manifest as:
>>>
>>> BchartSm.C: In member function ‘double Bchart::pHypgt(const
std::string&, int)’:
>>> BchartSm.C:554: error: ‘strpbrk’ was not declared in this scope
>>> make[1]: *** [BchartSm.o] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/leon/charniak/reranking-parser/first-stage/PARSE'

>>> However, after adding include lines for stdlib.h and string.h to
BchartSm.C, I am stumped by:

>>> BchartSm.C: In member function ‘double Bchart::pHypgt(const
std::string&, int)’:
>>> BchartSm.C:555: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

http://bllip.cs.brown.edu/resources.shtml right?

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I am using this parser, without any problems. Therefore, it is difficult
to guess, what your problem
>>> is. Compilation worked without any issues.
>>>
>>> Could you specify what does not work for you?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Roman
>>

>> --
>> Roman Klinger
>> Fraunhofer-Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing (SCAI)
>> Department of Bioinformatics
>> Schloss Birlinghoven
>> D-53754 Sankt Augustin
>> Tel.: +49-2241-14-2360