[Corpora-List] Hacked email accounts (Bill Louw)

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Fri Aug 19 09:17:04 UTC 2011

The From: line in message headers is, like the Subject: line, nothing more than text. It can be changed at will by te message author. The practice is now so common that Google Mail now includes a warning "This address may be fake" on messages proportedly from Gmail accounts that were not sent out through the Gmail web set. There is nothing melicious per se in changing this line but spammers (and viruses) exploit it to hide their own identity and, implicitly, chew up network bandwidth with discussions such as this.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!

Sent from my iPad