[Corpora-List] Hacked email accounts (Bill Louw)

Susana Sotillo sotillos at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:53:04 UTC 2011

John's explanation concerning the Palm OS in Treos which allows
synchronization with
both Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows makes sense, though my last phone
was an XV6800 (Windows mobile).  I know Jobs was not interested in
making its iPhone  or iPad compatible with other Smartphones.  One of
the disadvantages of using iPads and iPhones for mobile teaching with
students is that we can't access flash tools.  That might change in the
future.

As to:

I don't quite get it and it is hard to explain but other
people have told me they see it as some sort of "consciousness
welfare" ;-) that is so, but so easily!!! fed into people's minds
here. That is why Bradley Manning is kept in prison, is not
"patriotic", a not "hero", ...

Not all of us are Obamaphiles or rabid Tea Party followers.  Nor do many of us support the illegal perpetual wars in Iraq. Afghanistan, Libya, etc.

Concerning:
<<they have also turned into snitching cells from every barbershop to University Departments. Some
of us, I am sure, are "helping" them with software too ( "snitching
corpora" ;-)), at least some people make money out of this nonsense.>>

Yes, this is the case.  I tried getting funding to help some lawyers working in an area of the Amazon region who are defending the rights of indigenous communities being slaughtered or poisoned by those representing the predatory economic interests of drug traffickers, multinationals and U.S. corporations, but no one was interested.  There are about 80+ languages in this region, some of which are in danger of extinction. In order to get serious funding one needs a "sexy" or economically profitable topic, such as "Homeland Security," "Cybercrime," "Deception Detection," etc.

Susana