[Corpora-List] Theoretical/methodological challenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies

Charlotte Taylor Charlotte.Taylor at port.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 14:33:38 UTC 2011

The first ‘Corpus Linguistics in the South’ event
Theme: Theoretical/methodologicalchallenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies – and some ways of addressing them
Where: University of Portsmouth, UK
When: Saturday 5 November 2011, 10.00-16.00
At Corpus Linguistics 2011, a few of us were reflecting onthe fact that most corpus linguistic events seem to happen in the Midlands orthe north of England, and this event, the first in a series we hope, is intended to redress the balance a little.
For this first event, we have chosen the topic ‘Theoretical/methodologicalchallenges in corpus approaches to discourse studies – and some ways ofaddressing them’ and we hope that this will lead to plenty of constructive debate,and opportunities to share experiences and ideas. We plan on having four30-minute papers leading into open group discussion and one round tablediscussion which will be open to all participants.
There will be no charge as it is meant to be an inclusiveand fairly informal event, but we do envisage all going out for lunch together(max. £10) to give us the chance to talk in a less structured setting.

Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics
School of Languages and Area Studies
University of Portsmouth
Park Building
King Henry I Street