[Corpora-List] Why some languages has complex morphology meanwhile other not?

Majid Laali mjlaali at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 16:45:45 UTC 2011

Thank you for your replays, however, I think it is better to shed a light to my question:
I formally define complex morphology as the role of clitics in a language, for example see this(1):
"Similarly, the following list, excerpted from Hakkani-Tu ̈ r et al. (2002), shows a few of the words producible in Turkish from the root uyu-, ’sleep’:
uyuyorum ‘I am sleeping’
uyuduk ‘we slept’
uyuman ‘your sleeping’
uyutmak ‘to cause someone to sleep’"

As you can see, clitics in Turkish play more syntactic and semantic roles than English. So in such language we found more inflectional surface form from a word. This properties arise many different problem in different NLP tasks such as POS tagging, SMT, IR, and etc. Maybe the most dominant problem is you need more data (text) in learning stage for any statistical approaches for these tasks.

Another plus point that should be taken in consideration is that, I want to know can we group different language to some types by features like what I mentioned, so that morphology analysis of them is similar to each other?
Although, the complexity of a language and where language put this complexity is very interesting, I think it needs another post to disgust.

Regards,
Majid Laali,
Natural Language and text Processing Laboratory(http://ece.ut.ac.ir/NLP),
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
m.laali at ut.ac.ir

(1) example is from "Speech and Language Processing An introduction to natural language processing, computational linguistics, and speech recognition" book