[Corpora-List] EmoText - Software for opinion mining and lexical affect sensing

Amanda Schiffrin a.schiffrin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:21:13 UTC 2011

I think Justin has hit the nail on the head here.  I worked on an attempt
to develop a sentiment detection module for a text analytics software
system in my previous job, and I soon realised that once you start working
with real data, both statistical and grammatical ('semantic') approaches
will fail.  You need a more complex model of information in order to be
able to understand that a tweet such as "Bummer, I left my iPhone on the
bus - I'm lost without it :-(", despite containing only indicators of
negative sentiment at the lexical level, still expresses high positive
sentiment toward the *product*.  Being able to distinguish this kind of
sentiment is one of the main drivers of commercial sentiment detection, and
I'd say we're still a very long way away from anything like that level of
sophistication.

Mandy Schiffrin