[Corpora-List] discussion on reproducibility at ACL 2011 business meeting

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jul 4 21:49:56 UTC 2011

On 7/4/2011 4:58 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 4:25 PM, Mark Sammons wrote:
>> Might it not be sufficient to simply encourage this practice without
>> formalizing the requirements, and rely on positive feedback to do the
>> job?
>
> Yes. That's what I was suggesting.
>
> There are many different research practices that have led to important
> new discoveries and breakthroughs. Imposing too many conditions and
> restrictions on what is considered publishable is more likely to
> inhibit rather than promote progress.

Which of course is what this thread was about in the first place.
Quoting Ted (but adding emphasis):
 > ...in favor of the innovation this year on *allowing*
 > submissions of data and code along with paper submissions.

I don't think Ruvan was suggesting making code/data submission a
requirement in our field, he was just saying we could look at how the
biology/ bio-informatics people (who reportedly do make it a
requirement) addressed the issues which had been raised.

And I didn't say anything about requiring it, either.

So can we stop beating the dead horse of requiring code/data submission,
and get back to the point Ted raised: the concerns over how and whether
to encourage reproducible research by means of code and data publication.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond