[Corpora-List] Articles on Spelling Variations in English

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 08:09:45 UTC 2011

Hello True Friend (!?)

This isn't exactly what you asked for but I think is relevant:

Eric Atwell, Junaid Arshad, Chien-Ming Lai, Lan Nim, Noushin Rezapour
Asheghi, Josiah Wang, and Justin Washtell.
Which English dominates the World Wide Web, British or American?
Proc Corpus Linguistics 2007.
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric/atwell07clweb.pdf

- a group of MSc students (most of whom returned to Leeds for PhDs)
analysed new Englishes from 6 different regions, focussing on
local adoption of UK v US spellings (eg color/colour): "... often it
was difficult to see any clear preference for British or American
English, at least on the basis of the straightforward computational
metrics available." This suggests color/colour etc are NOT seen as
errors in "new Englishes" but as accepted variations.

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

--
Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems