[Corpora-List] Reminder and Update DGfS 2012, Information Density

Elke Teich teich at linglit.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jul 13 07:21:35 UTC 2011

Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft fuer Sprachwissenschaft
AG 11: Information Density and Linguistic Variation
Frankfurt, Germany
March 6-9, 2012
https://dgfs.de/cgi-bin/dgfs.pl/tagung?lang=en

Call For Abstracts (UPDATE)

Submission deadline: July 18, 2011

linguistic complexity in various
areas of linguistics, including grammatical theory (Hawkins 2004),
diachronic linguistics (e.g., Dahl
2004), phonetics (e.g., Chitoran et al. 2009), psycholinguistics (e.g.,
Jaeger 2010) as well as
sociolinguistics (Trudgill 2011). While this has brought many new
insights into selected aspects of
language, we still do not have a conclusive picture of the role(s)
linguistic complexity plays or
should play in linguistic theory and in modeling linguistic processes.
There are various perspectives
from which linguistic complexity can be approached, including entropy,
emergence, optimality or
adaptivity. In the planned workshop, we propose to focus on the
perspective of information density
(Levy & Jaeger, 2007) -- the average amount of information in a text or
utterance as determined by its
predictability -- and to explore its relation to one of the central
features of the linguistic system,
namely, variation. We would like to address questions of the following
kind: To what extent is
linguistic variation governed by a desire for constant information
density, thus putting limits on
linguistic variation? In which ways is linguistic variation a
precondition to (optimal) information
density? How does information density at different linguistic levels
(grammatical, phonological, etc)
influence the options in the linguistic system within and across languages?

The workshop is intended to bring together scholars from different areas
of linguistics, including
syntax, phonetics/phonology, psycholinguistics, computational
linguistics, contrastive linguistics,
language typology, corpus linguistics (and others) who work on the
relation of linguistic variation
and linguistic complexity/ information density.

Chitoran, I., Ch. Coupe, E. Marsico & F. Pellegrino (eds.) (2009):
Approaches to phonological
complexity. Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
Dahl, Oe. (2004): The growth and maintenance of linguistic complexity.
Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Hawkins, John A. (2004): Efficiency and Complexity in Grammars. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.
Jaeger, T.F. (2010): Redundancy and reduction: Speakers manage syntactic
information density.
Cognitive Psychology 61. 23-62.
Levy, R. & T.F. Jaeger (2007): Speakers optimize information density
through syntactic reduction.
Proceedings of the Twentieth Annual Conference on Neural Information
Processing Systems.
Trudgill, P. (2011): Sociolinguistic typology. Sociolinguistics
determinants of linguistic
complexity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Invited speakers
----------------

John Hawkins (Cambridge/UC Davis)
Harald Baayen (Alberta)

Important Dates
---------------

Abstract submission deadline:  July 18, 2011
Notification of acceptance: September 15, 2011
Submission of final abstract: October 20, 2011 (NEW DATE!)
DGfS 2012 Conference: March 6-9, 2012

Requirements
------------

Abstracts should be 300-400 words (1 page) and may contain additional
material, such as examples,
figures and references on another page. Altogether submission should be
no longer than 2 pages. As
reviewing will be double blind, the paper should not include the
authors' names and affiliations.

Submission Information
----------------------

All submissions must be submitted electronically as PDF and sent by
e-mail to:

d.schreyer at mx.uni-saarland.de

putting 'DGFS 2012 AG11' in the subject line.

The deadline for submission is July 18, 2011.

Organization
------------
Matthew Crocker, Bernd Moebius, Elke Teich (Saarland University)

Program Committee
-------------
Artemis Alexiadou
Harald Baayen