[Corpora-List] Which Statistical Test is Suitable

True Friend true.friend2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 07:36:58 UTC 2011

Dear Corpora Members
Thanks for your responses. I am actually having a research on spelling
alternation of ا alif  and ہ hay (two Urdu letters). There has been a long
debate among scholars that which word should be written with which letter.
For example the word Ghonsa (English: Punch) can be written as گھونسا
(ending at alif) or as گھونسہ (ending at hay) with no change in meaning. In
most cases the frequencies are clearly different. There is a clear choice
for Alif or Hay variant, but in some cases the frequencies correlate very
closely. I've selected the words which have very close frequencies in each
variant (with no change in meaning of the word of course), now I wanted to
summarize the group bahaviour by applying correlation formula etc. An
example of such variant spellings is as follows:
 Alif Variant Freq Hay Variant Freq.  بیڑا 587 بیڑہ 508  پٹا 97 پٹہ 116
ٹھکانا 586 ٹھکانہ 725
As you can see the frequencies are closely related, my aim was to summarize
the group behaviour. The point here is to show the general public's usage,
that despite of rules available, people are confused in spelling of these
words.
Hopefully this would elaborate why I asked.
--
*Muhammad Shakir Aziz* *محمد شاکر عزیز*
*Masters in Applied Linguistics